January 09, 2024

56 Weeks with Nancy Drew

Last year, after collecting Nancy Drew books since I was a little girl, I finally completed my set of the first 56 in the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories series. I never thought the day would come when I would have the full collection on my shelves. My little girl self was (and still is!) very proud.

It is through Nancy Drew that I fell in love with reading. There was nothing like curling up with one of the yellow-spined hardbacks and imagining myself as the titan-haired girl zipping from one mystery to the next in a little blue roadster. I was such a fan that I even used to style my hair with it flipped out at the ends, so I could look more like how Nancy is depicted on the Rudy Nappi covers.


A little bit about the Nancy Drew:
Nancy Drew lives in the town of River Heights with her father, prominent lawyer, Carson Drew, and their housekeeper, Hannah Gruen, who helped rear Nancy since the death of the girl's mother years before. Nancy falls into her first case when she is delivering some legal papers for her father. Frequently, Carson discusses his cases with his daughter and asks for her assistance. With the help of her friends, cousins Bess and George, Nancy goes on to solve a number of mysteries, all while looking fabulous, never forgetting to stop for luncheon, and rarely driving over the legal speed limit.


You might be wondering why I decided to collect the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (from here on to be referred to as NDMS) when there are so many other Nancy Drew series to pick from. NDMS is the series that introduced Nancy Drew to the world back in 1930. While a lot of the various series that have been published over the years have gone out of print, this one is still available. It also happens to be the series that I first read as a child.


I didn't have a ton of books when I was little, and only a handful of Nancy Drews among them. Most often, I would read books from the library, which helped to feed my Nancy Drew obsession. Unfortunately, the library in my village leaned more towards the Nancy Drew Files series, which was newly in print at the time. The Nancy Drew Files reminded me of a less well-written Sweet Valley High, if you can imagine such a thing. While Nancy and her friends were still solving mysteries, there was more focus on boys and Nancy seemed a lot older, more like a modern teenager than the Nancy I knew.


I have never before had the opportunity to read the entire series of NDMS, so I have been very much looking forward to reading the books in order, some of them for the very first time! As I like an excuse to get myself organized, and I wanted a way of recording what (for me) is a momentous event, over 30 years in the making, I thought it would be fun to read the original 56 books in 56 weeks.

I'm using the word "original" loosely here, as in most cases I only have the revised text, 20 chapter versions of these books. Books 1-34 were originally published as 25 chapter books, but starting in 1959 they were edited down to 20 chapters. Books 35-56, which were published from 1957 onward in the 20 chapter format, were not revised. I would love to one day have all of the original text 25 chapter editions, but as yet I only have a few. 


In the instances where I have both the original text 25 chapter and revised text 20 chapter editions I plan discuss how they differ. In some cases, the plot was greatly changed in the revised text versions, so I hope to go into some depth on the changes that were made, and my general thoughts on 1960s Nancy. It wasn't just her roadster that she swapped out for a convertible. The 1960s Nancy underwent a bit of a personality change from the Nancy of the 1930s. 


I will be posting a review of one Nancy Drew book per week from now until the end of January 2025. Over on Instagram, I will be using the hashtag #56WeeksWithNancyDrew. And because I think it will be easier for people to find (and because I'm greedy), I will also be tagging my posts with #NancyDrewin56Weeks. I hope you will hop into my blue (virtual) roadster and take a ride with me and Nancy Drew over the next 56 weeks. I can't wait! 

4 comments:

  1. Rudy Nappi is my favorite illustrator of the ND books. I always tried to look like her too, according to the RN illustrations. Some of the "recent ones," like Mystery of the Golden Eye, the illustrations are just odd to me (not sure of the illustrator), but I love the illustrations in Larkspur Lane, and Liliac Inn, especially the ones that go across two pages :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me so happy to hear that you tried to make yourself look like Nancy too! She was my first style inspiration for sure! I love the Rudy Nappi covers too. They are the ones I came across the most when I was reading these as a child. You know he actually did the cover of The Mystery of the Glowing Eye in 1974 too! But it as you said the later ones looked different. The cover he did for Lilac Inn dates back to 1962 and he did two covers for Larkspur Lane one in 1962 and I believe the other one was 1966. I think the publishers wanted Nancy to reflect the time, and don't the covers show a change over 12 years! I much prefer the covers he did in the 1960s. What I don't know is who illustrated the insides of the books! I wish I knew. I will have to do more research on that. The double page spreads have always been my favourite. They are such a joy to come across when you're reading!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous! I'm blown away by your collection! I am so incredibly lucky and grateful that you were willing to trade some of your Nancy Drew collection with me. Thank youuuuu! It's brought tons more light and joy into my life. And, of course, seeing your beautiful photos and learning more about the Nancy Drew books from your post. Wooo! 😍❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to lie to you. I'm tempted to keep doubles and triples of these books. I can see 4 copies of The Scarlet Slipper Mystery on my Nancy Drew bookcase as I type this, three of which are in the same edition! LOL What I'm trying to say is that for this book hoarder it was a surprisingly painless decision to share some of my duplicates with you. I'm happy they found such a loving home! Hopefully, we can read a couple of them together this year!

      Delete

56 Weeks with Nancy Drew - The Whispering Statue - Part 2/2

Book 14 Welcome to the 56 Weeks with Nancy Drew series! If you are new here, welcome. You can find my introductory post to this series  here...