June 25, 2024

56 Weeks with Nancy Drew - The Whispering Statue - Part 1/2

Book 14

Welcome to the 56 Weeks with Nancy Drew series! If you are new here, welcome. You can find my introductory post to this series here. Please note I will be including plot spoilers in this review series. I explain my reasoning at the start of this post.

I should add that this discussion of The Whispering Statue is in two parts. Part Two will go up tomorrow. Once it goes live, you will be able to find a link to it here.


Editions pictured: OT (25 chapters, 217 pages); RT (20 chapters, 179 pages)
OT publication date: 1937
My OT edition printed: approx. 1959-1961
RT publication date: 1970
My RT edition printed: approx. 1974
RT cover illustrated by: Rudy Nappi
Ghostwriter: Mildred A. Wirt Benson
Editors: Edna Stratemeyer Squier & Harriet Stratemeyer Adams
Revised by: Harriet Stratemeyer Adams
OT setting: River Heights & Sea Cliff (summer resort on Atlantic Coast)
RT setting: River Heights & Waterford (town on the coast)

Introduction

Since I have both books in my collection, I had the pleasure of reading the original text (OT) of The Whispering Statue and the revised text (RT). On the other occasion (The Message in the Hollow Oak OT, The Message in the Hollow Oak RT) where I had both editions I discussed each book in its own post. The RT diverged from the OT to such an extent that it would have been near impossible to compare them. While the OT and the RT of The Whispering Statue are quite different from each other, I believe they have enough in common that they can be discussed together. That’s my hope, anyway!


On the other occurrence when I had both the OT and the RT of a title, I read the OT first. But after reading the more sophisticated and — let’s just say it — better written OT, the RT was a slog to get through. I vowed not to make the same mistake a second time around, so when it came time to read The Whispering Statue I picked up the RT first. And you know what? It had the desired results! I had a fun time reading both books. Sure the OT was still better, as I expected it would be, but I didn’t have to force myself to finish the RT and I was able to appreciate that one for what it was without constantly comparing it to the OT. I believe this enabled me to look at both of these books more objectively and better appreciate their strengths without letting the weak points cast a dark cloud over my enjoyment of them!


The other thing I didn’t do this time is take notes while I was reading. This enabled me to get into these stories without all of the stopping and starting that detailed note taking entails. The one downside is that I didn’t have anything to refer back to after I had finished reading, which made this blog post a whole lot harder to write! If you have read any of my Nancy Drew posts before, you know that I usually start them off with a list of the shenanigans Nancy and her friends get up to, followed by how many meals were eaten, and any other interesting details. However, my not having taken notes while I was reading means I don’t have any of that information available to me. I hope you will forgive me for the unusually straightforward synopses to follow. 


RT Synopsis

Mrs. Merriam, a client of Nancy’s father, inherits a large collection of fine books from her uncle. She approaches Willis Basswood, the owner of an art gallery and bookshop in her town, and he agrees to sell the books for her, taking a fee of twenty-five percent from each sale. Some of the books sell for quite a bit of money and others for less as is to be expected. All is well, until Mr. Basswood stopped paying Mrs. Merriam. He explained it was because the books weren’t selling, but Mrs. Merriam suspects the man is selling the books and simply not paying her.


While Mrs. Merriam explains her problem to Nancy, masked men ambush the Drew home, and Nancy gets a threatening phone call with the message, “You tell Mrs. Merriam to shut up or she’ll get hurt and you people too!” (RT 4).

Soon Nancy is taking an assumed name and traveling in disguise to Waterford with friends Bess and George in tow. There they stay at the Waterford Yacht Club where there is another mystery surrounding a missing statue which is said to whisper and bears a distinct resemblance to none other than Nancy Drew.

The mysteries are linked — well, aren’t they always?! — and Nancy brings the baddies to justice with a lot of help from her friends. At one point she is entrapped in a sarcophagus and things would have quickly gone downhill if it wasn’t for the quick actions of Bess, George, Ned, and their new friend Dick.


OT Synopsis

Nancy goes to the opening ceremony of a new park in River Heights, where a lost bull-terrier adopts her, dragging Nancy into all sorts of trouble. The dog, soon to be named Togo, digs up freshly planted flower beds, chases a bevy of swans, and darts wildly at children. He takes a mislaid handbag, plunges into a lake, swims out a ways, and drops it in before paddling back to shore.

Through Togo’s excitable nature — see handbag incident above — Nancy meets Mrs. Owen, the honoured guest speaker of the event, and hears about a statue called “The Whispering Girl” that looks remarkably akin to Nancy, which just happens to be on display near Sea Cliff, a place she will soon be going on holiday. While the two are airing out the woman’s belongings — see Togo’s excitable nature above — Nancy happens to see in the woman’s possession a personal ad clipped from the newspaper. After some consideration, Nancy suspects Mrs. Owen of having a secret sorrow. 


Nancy, Bess, and George go on holiday to Sea Cliff resort. On the train, they see a shady individual preying on an older woman. Nancy warns the woman to be careful of the man, but the woman gives Nancy short shrift for her efforts. Later Nancy suspects the woman isn’t as soft a touch as she seems. There’s a mystery there!

In this one, Nancy and her friends save two men from a burning plane, reunite a man and wife, and stop some thieves from stealing a number of expensive sculptures. Nancy also finds the missing heiress of a crumbling estate, saves an elderly woman from a watery grave, and is rescued during a terrific storm from a most unseaworthy vessel.


Going forward

When I first set out to read one Nancy Drew and write a blog post per week I had no idea how time consuming it would be. It vaguely crossed my mind that for the titles I had both editions in I would then have to read both in one week, but I had so few in the OT that I didn’t think it would matter much. What I didn’t think about at all is my mood. The truth is, as much as I love Nancy Drew, there are a lot of other books that I want to be reading. Besides, there are a lot of other things I want to have time for outside of reading and writing about what I read. As the gaps have grown between posts has proven, a weekly turnaround simply isn’t attainable for me. 

In July and August I will be discussing one Nancy Drew title per month and then starting in September I plan to do two titles per month. Hopefully, this will free me up to do non-Nancy posts if the urge takes me. More importantly, I hope this will rekindle my excitement for this project. It’s hard to get enjoyment out of the process when you can practically hear the clock ticking! I hope you can all understand and aren’t secretly cursing me. 


Fingers crossed I’ll have more time to fine-tune my thoughts, and make my blog posts are little more succinct, so I can stop producing posts that grow so large that they need to be cut in half!

See you tomorrow where we will be talking about bonkersness, good writing, better writing, and the best way to disguise yourself as a work of art. I hope to see you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

56 Weeks with Nancy Drew - The Whispering Statue - Part 2/2

Book 14 Welcome to the 56 Weeks with Nancy Drew series! If you are new here, welcome. You can find my introductory post to this series  here...